Training supports mental health, wellness of children with disabilities
Parents, educators, and other stakeholders in the lives of children with disabilities are invited to explore new ways of thinking about supporting the mental and behavioral health and wellness of children with disabilities.
WHEN: November 18, 2016 / 8:30 am - Noon. (Registration 8:30 - 9:00 am)
WHERE: George Woods Star Institute, 517 North Zenith, Lubbock, TX 79403
TRAINERS: Leslie Fierro and Laura Buckner
This training will:
* Define Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (IDD).
* Define trauma (i.e. medical trauma, bullying, abuse, loss, and grief).
* Identify how trauma impacts typical developmental milestones.
* Consider risks associated with traumatic experiences.
* Discuss behavioral and emotional impacts of trauma.
* Learn strategies for promoting healing environments.
* Promote child and family recovery, well-being, and resilience.
* Address secondary trauma, burn-out, and self-care.
Register at www.safeaustin.org/communityreg. Space is limited for this no-cost training. SW and LPC CEUs available if requested at registration. Family members of children with disabilities and training participants may apply for a stipend to cover some travel expenses and/or child care costs to attend. For more information, visit www.safeaustin.org/hogg.