Lubbock community still looking for answers after another drive-by shooting

Published: Aug. 29, 2022 at 11:30 AM CDT|Updated: Aug. 29, 2022 at 10:45 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

LUBBOCK, Texas (KCBD) - Lubbock police are asking for the public’s help investigating a drive-by shooting that left a woman dead.

Just after 1:00 a.m. on August 15, officers responded to a shots fired call in the 2700 block of East Colgate. Police found 69-year-old Margie Johnson with serious injuries. She was taken to UMC where she died on Aug. 28.

Investigators believe Margie, along with 44-year-old Edward Johnson, were inside the home when the drive-by shooting happened. Investigators say Margie was sitting in her recliner when she was shot. Edward was not injured.

The KCBD team visited the East Colgate neighborhood near Johnson’s home. One mother said she was nervous for her family’s safety, and her young child sleeps in a back room instead of at the front of the home. Several other neighbors said unfortunately, they are used to incidents like this happening in their neighborhood.

The drive-by shooting comes eight months after a 4-year-old was killed in another, only 2 miles away. Cornelius Carrington was inside his home on East Urseline St. when he was shot on December 17. Four days after his death, his family and friends hosted a vigil in his honor.

In January, Lubbock Police released a video of the car in question, asking the public to help identify the suspect. 242 days later, the department is in the same position.

In July, Lubbock artist Joey Martinez painted a mural to honor Carrington and his family and to bring awareness to the public. It’s near East MLK Jr. Boulevard and Broadway Street.

Two law firms have chipped in to the reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of Carrington’s killers, bringing that total to $13,500. The reward for information about Margie Johnson’s death is $5,000.

Anyone with information on the shootings should call CrimeLine at (806) 741-1000.

As of now, the investigations for both of these shootings are ongoing.