Midland home struck by lightning, catches fire

Midland house struck by lightning, catches fire
Published: Aug. 18, 2022 at 10:55 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

MIDLAND, Texas (KOSA) - A Midland family tells CBS7′s Noe Ortega that around 8:30- 9 p.m. Wednesday their home in the 3600 block of Oakridge was struck by lightning and caught fire.

The family says the home reignited around 1 a.m. Thursday. Which required Midland Fire Department to come back out to the house and put the fire out again.

Neighbors tried to help put out the fire with their water hoses, but the flames were too strong.

The Burns family was inside the home when the lightning struck. They originally thought it hit one of their trees.

Until a neighbor called them saying that their house was on fire. The family was able to get out safely, but they lost all of their belongings.

“I don’t know what I feel right now. Everything’s gone, but everyone got out safely so that’s all that matters,” homeowner Sarah Burns said.

They were able to save birth certificates thanks to a safe they had in the bedroom. They were also able to save their dogs, cat and a lizard..

Andrew George, who is one of the homeowner’s nephews, lives a mile from the home and says he immediately rushed down to help…

“They were back by the garage,” George said. “There was a bunch of Christmas ornaments that caught on fire in the attic again. So we were here for another thirty minutes or so and made it home by three″

George says that he was excited that there was finally rain in midland but says he never expected something like this to happen to one of his loved ones.

The Burns family moved into this home March of last year and had recently painted it.

Sarah says they are grateful for all the support they’ve gotten.

“A lot of the neighbors have come by and offer help,” Burns said. “There has been a lot of people that have offered to help. I just don’t know what I need right now. Still in shock a little bit.”

Neighbors say that it sounded like a bomb went off.

Some neighbors are now having their homes inspected because of the intensity of the fire because of the smoke that entered their homes…

The Burns family is currently living with different family members and are in need of clothes, shoes, and essentials

If you’re interested in helping the family you can contact 307-622-7385