Three unsolved murder cases in West Texas being looked at by inv

Three unsolved murder cases in West Texas being looked at by investigators

Posted: Updated:
LUBBOCK, Texas -

More unsolved murders in West Texas means more killers are still on the loose, and investigators are looking at three specific case files to see if they can catch a break.

The first case: The murder of Lela Bradic.

Police said she was stabbed and shot outside of a salon she operated in Plainview in 1979.

According to investigators, her ex-husband Robert found her on the floor and immediately called police. 

Initially thought as a potential suspect, investigators later cleared him. 

With no DNA on Mrs. Bradic's body, or at the crime scene, Bill Bridgwater with the Plainview Police Department, said there may never be a resolution.

"There's a lot of this information that when you try to look into it and piece it together, there's no pieces to find," Bridgwater said.

However, Bridgwater said there is still one clue that remains a mystery.

He said Bradic had a scheduled appointment before she was murdered. 

"The name on the schedule was Mrs. Miller. No other information, no phone number, no address, nothing. Just Mrs. Miller identified on the appointment book for 7 o'clock that morning," Bridgwater said.

Despite thorough efforts following this lead, Bridgwater said it has led to nothing but dead ends, and the case remains unsolved, 40 years later.

Moving to Littlefield, a clerk at the Jolly Roger convenience store was shot multiple times during a robbery, August 6, 1996.

Before Angie Cruz died, investigators said she was able to contact police and give a description of the suspects: Two Hispanic men driving a gold car.

Two suspects were arrested and charged with the crime, but were later exonerated, leaving the true murderers still out there, and investigators, nowhere to turn.

"When you get into that kind of scene when you're talking about a convenience store where fingerprints are lifted, there's no telling who they belong to," Steve Farley, with the Littlefield Police Department, said.

Detectives Steve Farley and Samuel Garcia said they searched for every "gold" car in the area but soon realized it was like searching for a needle in a haystack.

"There was no specific make or model. Just a color. There you go, you look at somebody's personal opinion on a color, could it be a yellow-ish color? They say gold, but is it actually gold? Is it more of a brown, is it more of a yellow?" Farley said.

With no current leads on this case, detectives said there may never be justice for Angie Cruz's death.

The third and final case is the disappearance of Levelland woman Stephane Henderson.

She went missing on November 28, 1993 after an argument with her husband, Ricky Henderson, police claim.

Stephane's grandmother Martha later received a letter from Hobbs, New Mexico, claiming she was alive and well, but the letter was postmarked from Lubbock.  

Suspicious, Martha sent the letter to police, but investigators at the time could not connect Ricky Henderson to it. 

Investigator Ray Scifres said new DNA testing could prove Stephane did not write the letter.

"There was a letter that was sent that was reported to be from Stephane that has questions and that's one of the things they looked back at in the mid-2000s was who sent this letter, and they submitted it for DNA analysis. Of course, technology is different now that it even was then. We're hoping we could get some investigative leads based on some old evidence," Scifres said.

Ricky Henderson is actually in custody because he is also a person of interest in another Levelland case: The murder of Jeannie Quinn.

Scifres said there is not current evidence that the disappearance of Stephane Henderson and Jeannie Quinn's murder are connected, but he also said he cannot rule it out either. 

If you have any information about these cases, please contact the sheriff's office involved in the case. 

Powered by Frankly