Parents upset after Friday's Frenship ISD gun scare

Parents upset after Friday's Frenship ISD gun scare

Posted: Updated:

District administrators with Frenship ISD told us very little about Friday's gun scare and what provoked them to lock down the high school and call in the troops. We do know that police arrested three juveniles in connection to this incident. Charges are unknown at this time.
Here's the rundown of what we know, with reaction from parents, and a mom with information about an incident Frenship ISD reportedly neglected to inform parents about.

Halfway through the school day, someone reported seeing a gun. When 911 was notified, that triggered a full scale emergency response from both the LPD and Sheriff's SWAT teams to conduct a search for a gunman.
Under that "high alert lockdown," students and educators sheltered in classrooms with the lights off wle swat officers scoured the building.  Plice also escorted everyone from the building with their hands on their heads.
No shots were fired and no one was hurt.
The final all clear was given about 4pm on Friday.

Parents were understandably panicked and were told to wait for their children to be released.
That wait stretched for hours, with the only information provided by texts of the rumors being spread through the halls telling tales of an 
active shooter.

"You don't think something like this is going to happen in Lubbock. It happens everywhere else but when it happens here, to your kids, it's just scary as all get out."

Panicked, upset, and wanting answers, parents rushed to Frenship High after receiving the recorded alert that the high school was locked down. That alert said: "This morning, just before 12 o'clock, Frenship ISD received a report of a gun sighted in the building at Frenship High School. At this time, it is only a report, nothing is confirmed. 911 was called and both the high school and the 9th grade center were put under a high level lock down."

"She said they're on high security lock down and she said that they had put them in the closet in the library and she just kept texting me so I left work, came over here, and she texts me "omg there's someone with a gun."
"She actually texted us and told us she was in the closet and that she was really scared first of all, but they were in the closet and they arrested a kid in the closet that was with her."
"Rumors, that's all that's going around."

Another alert is given: "Students are secure in classrooms, we're waiting to release the students to families when police provide the all clear."

"I have one kid in the ninth grade center and two in the high school and both of the high school ones called and said we're on lock down, we don't know what's going on, they told us to hide and they locked us in closets and then as SWAT came to clear and release them."

Parents, with nerves already frazzeled, then angered while they waited for hours to embrace their kids on this traumatizing day.

"Nobody knows what's going on. Different people saying one thing, next thing you know someone else comes says something different. It's just frustrating."

This incident: not the only one parents are concerned about. FOX34 received a number of reports a student threatening to bring a gun to the Heritage Middle School.

Kasie Sierra's daughter goes to Heritage and said despite the threat, parents were not alerted.

"Wednesday, my daughter came home and she said there was a definite threat made on the school, there were several students who had threatened to bring handguns to school and during fifth period they were supposed spread out through the school and start shooting."

Sierra then called the school on Wednesday.

"It was brushed aside like 'well you know it's just middle schoolers and it was something wrote on the bathroom wall and we really don't put much stake into it.' Thursday showed a different story because kids were patted down, they were investigated and no parents were privy to this information."

The fact that parents weren't notified frustrates Sierra.

"They can contact us for a fundraiser, but something important like the safety of our children, they did not contact us and it should be anything. It should be a threat that was made, a weather warning, anything that affects the safety of our children. We should be the first people they notify."
FOX34 asked Frenship administrators about the threat at Heritage. School administrators did not respond.

UPDATE: 12/1 at 7 p.m.

Frenship ISD spokesman Andy Penney confirms to FOX34 that three juveniles are in custody in connection to Friday's SWAT callout incident.

Charges are unknown at this time.

We will update this story with more information as it becomes available.

ORIGINAL STORY: 12/1 at 12 pm

The all-clear has been given at Frenship High School after reports of a gunman on campus.

The high school and ninth grade campus were on lockdown for several hours as concerned parents gathered at the stadium waiting for word.

SWAT teams swept the school for a gunman as students were being escorted out of the building with their hands on their heads. 

Sources tell us one person has been arrested.

Police want to reiterate no gun was been found.

Lubbock ISD students were at the campus, in addition to Frenship students, because of a Monterey basketball game. 

FOX34 has received several messages and calls from parents saying students were arrested this week for bringing guns on campus. The parents told us they learned this from their children, and were not notified by the district. We're working to get more information from Frenship ISD. 

Frenship ISD Superintendent Michelle McCord has released the following statement in response to today's incident at Frenship High School.  

This morning just before noon, Frenship High School received a report of a firearm sighted in the building.

FHS staff immediately notified campus administration, and a high-level lockdown was immediately put into place.

A call to 911 was made immediately. We are so appreciative of the Frenship ISD Police Department, the Lubbock Police Department, the Lubbock County Sherriff’s Office as well as the other law enforcement agencies who responded in protecting our students and securing our facilities.

Students were escorted out of the building and to a safe location.

The building was deemed clear just before 4:00. The work of our law enforcement officials, our students and our staff led to everyone in the building exiting safely this afternoon.

We are grateful to our parents for their cooperation this afternoon, and hope you know we connected our families together in the safest and fastest way possible.

The safety of our students is our top priority.

Due to the severity of the report we received from the high school, we determined swift action was required.

Again, thank you for entrusting us with the care and education of your children

Powered by Frankly