Woman charged with terroristic threat after east Lubbock standof

Woman charged with terroristic threat after east Lubbock standoff

Posted: Updated:

A woman is in custody after a two-hour S.W.A.T. standoff at the Texas Health and Human Services office in east Lubbock.

Police responded to a report of a woman with a gun and shots fired at the building in the 1700 block of Parkway Drive. 

Employees told police the woman barricaded herself in the bathroom and the office was evacuated.

A full S.W.A.T. callout was initiated and negotiators, along with the bomb squad and tactical paramedics, were at the scene.

Rosenda Rey, 22, was arrested and charged with terroristic threat, a third degree felony. Ray also had two outstanding LPD warrants. 

Police do not believe anyone was injured. 

We'll have a full report tonight on the News @ Nine. 

Update from LPD: 

(LUBBOCK, TX) – A 22-year-old woman is now in custody after a two hour SWAT callout that included multiple SWAT and patrol officers, negotiators, Lubbock Fire Rescue tactical medics, and EMS. The woman, Rosenda Rey, was arrested for terroristic threat enhanced to a 3rd degree felony and for two outstanding LPD warrants.

Lubbock Police Officers responded to the Texas Health and Human Services Office located at 1716 Parkway Drive after receiving calls of possible shots fired inside the building.

Officers were advised a woman was in the bathroom and had what appeared to be a gun. Employees then reported they heard a loud pop come from the bathroom.

Officers evacuated the building and the nearby areas to ensure public safety. SWAT officers and negotiators arrived on scene and began working to make contact with the woman inside the building. Approximately two hours after the initial call, the woman came out of the bathroom and was taken into custody without incident.

While processing the scene, officers located a CO2 BB/Pellet gun that resembles a semi-automatic handgun. Right now it is unclear if she actually fired the gun.

No injuries were reported, and once officers cleared the scene the Texas Department of Health and Human Services was able to resume business. Investigators are still trying to determine why the woman was in the building and the circumstances surrounding the incident.

Powered by Frankly