Yoakum County Deputy remembered after dying in the line of duty

Yoakum County Deputy remembered after dying in the line of duty

Posted: Updated:

Law enforcement officers are in mourning after the loss of one of their own after Deputy Jason Fann, who also served as a Seagraves police officer, died in a crash while responding to another call.

Good friend and colleague Wesley Moore remembers exactly where he was when he got the news.

"I received a call from another P.D. officer who heard about the wreck and understood it was bad and possibly fatal," Moore said. "The initial reaction, I went completely numb. It was the worst day of my life."

Moore is the godfather to Fann's two children. He said, to him, his family, and his colleagues, Fann was the embodiment of what it means to wear the badge and to be a father.

"Deputy Jason Fann is by far one of the most intelligent and professional officers I've ever met in my career, my life. He was a dedicated father as well to a three-year-old and a six-year-old and a loving husband to his wife of four years. The epitome of, the definition of a public servant."

Moore hopes his friend is remembered as more than just another guy in a uniform.

"We should always remember his as a loving husband, a son, a brother, a father, and a great law enforcement officer."

According to the Yoakum County Sheriffs Office, Fann is the first officer killed in the line of duty in Yoakum County.

"From the ashes is born something even more beautiful."

Funeral arrangements are still in the works. We will bring you those as soon as they are announced. 

If you would like to donate to the Fann family, you can do so at any Aim Bank. 

ORIGINAL STORY: Seagraves Police report an officer has died.

Texas DPS reports it was called to a tractor-trailer injury crash Saturday evening on State Hwy 214. Sergeant Jason Fann of Plains, 28, also a Yoakum County deputy, crashed while responding to the call.

Fann reportedly lost control of his patrol unit, rolling it. He died at the scene.

The driver of the tractor-trailer was taken to the hospital in Denver City with incapacitating injuries.

Powered by Frankly