Family, friends of electrocuted teen hold memorial

Family, friends of electrocuted teen hold memorial

LUBBOCK, Texas -

Madison Coe's friends and family held a vigil Saturday evening to commemorate her life. The 14-year-old died last week in Lovington after New Mexico police say a frayed extension cord electrocuted her while she was in the bathtub.

Terra Vista Middle School hosts the memorial, with a theme of orange and coral to symbolize Coe's favorite colors and her brightness in life. Coe's sister, Storey Muse, said Madison was heavily involved in school and did exceptionally well at math. She was on both the basketball and robotics teams.

Coe said her sister will leave a lasting effect on everyone she knew.

"She impacted their lives a lot," Muse said. "Everybody's out here supporting her. Everybody has their own certain memories; most people said it's her smile. She was very bright, you know, her smile just warmed up a room, so I think that's... everybody's going to miss that about her."

Coe's final text message read "when you use an extension cord so you can plug your phone in while you're in the bath." Muse said she hopes the vigil will help spread the word about the dangers of using electronics around water. She said even one drop can change your life.

Powered by Frankly